- Coaching basics for all age groups.
- Look like a coach
- Voice and intro
- Sun - Cones - Control of group (ball/talking/statues) - Excitement - Names and nicknames
- ONLY Positive, praise, encourage and notice as much as you can
- Be willing to change it...don't let coach's ego get in the way.
- Forget a name? - Avoid long lines - Like vs Respect - Water Breaks
- No whistles - No laps
- Player behavior issues - “this is difficult-I can’t do it”
U5 / U6 Specific
- BE READY!!! Attention span is very small.
- Make a game/race out of everything (water breaks, quiet time) -Be goofy!!! :-)
- They get bored very quickly (less than a minute)...keep them active
- Treasure Hunt and scary games story. -Each task must have a "number"...it's their goal. "Can you get 3?" as opposed to "how many can you get"
- Don't expect too much when they play...focus on individual control and praise it. They have ZERO tactical awareness so don't worry about talking about it.
- Don’t worry about direct coaching...it’s all indirect through games/stories etc.
Session Focus and Progression
Equipment: pinnies, balls, cones
Area size must be appropriate - use cones (too big = fatigue and less control).
Choose 3 or 4 activities from the curriculum.
If they enjoy a particular exercise keep doing it.
* Activities are ones you should start with.
Let them play!!!
Just watch and encourage.
Throw in a 2nd or 3rd ball.
Don't stop them all the time.
Make sure the field is the correct size
Let them make mistakes (tennis analogy)
HAVE FUN...KEEP THE KIDS COMING BACK TO OUR GAME